Cable Television Distribution Network
CATV design looks simple and well-known thing at the same time has some tricky parts, like signal budget/loss calculations and interference between different frequencies.
The Structured Cabling System include the following components:
1. Headend includes VHF, UHF, Sattelite antennas, boosters, splitting/mixing base and channel filters, modulators and demodulators, transcoders and channel combiners. All that equipment combined provide quality A/V signal for subsequent
distribution over CATV network.
2. Mainline Distribution Amplifier and Extender Amplifier used to amplify the TV for network distribution.
3. Distribution network, which includes cables, couplers and tapoffs, splitters and connectors.
TYPICAL SHEET INDEX FOR CATV SYSTEM:
- Signal Raiser
- Floorplan (equipment locations)
- Floorplans (pathways)
- Wiring schedule
- Equipment racks elevations
- Details and elevations
Customer's specifications about systems design, floorplans, other important materials.
CODES AND STANDARDS TO FOLLOW:
1. Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL): Applicable listings and ratings.
2. UL 50, Cabinets and Boxes.
3. UL 943, GFCI.
4. UL 489, Molded Case Circuit Breakers.
5. California Electrical Code, Article 384, 770, 800 latest issue).
6. National, State, and Local Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) building and fire codes.
7. NEMA PB1.
8. ANSI/TIA Telecommunications Building Wiring Standards.
9. ANSI/TIA-568-C: Commercial building telecommunications wiring standard and current addenda.
10. ANSI/TIA-568-C.0: Generic Telecommunications Cabling for Customer Premises.
11. ANSI/TIA-568-C.1: Commercial Building Telecommunications Cabling Standard.
12. ANSI/TIA-568-C.2: Balanced Twisted-Pair Telecommunications Cabling and Components Standards.
13. ANSI/TIA-568-C.3: Optical Fiber Cabling Components Standard.
14. ANSI/TIA-1152: Requirements for Field Testing Instruments and Measurements for Balanced Twisted-Pair Cabling.
15. ANSI/TIA/EIA-569, Commercial Building Standard for Telecommunications Pathways and Spaces, current issue.
16. ANSI/EIA/TIA-598, Optical Fiber Cable Color Coding, current issue.
17. ANSI/TIA/EIA-606, The Administration Standard for the Telecommunications Infrastructure of Commercial Building, current issue.
18. ANSI/TIA/EIA-607-B, Commercial Building Grounding and Bonding Requirements for Telecommunications, current issue.
19. ANSI/TIA/EIA-758, Customer-Owned Outside Plant Telecommunications Cabling Standard, current issue.
20. Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) 802.3 (Ethernet), 802.3Z (Gigabit Ethernet over optical fiber), 802.3ab (Gigabit Ethernet over 4 pair category 5E or higher), 802.3ae (10Gigabit Ethernet over optical fiber), 802.11 (Wireless LAN).
21. BICSI Telecommunications Distribution Methods Manual, current issue.
22. FCC Part 68.50.
23. National Electrical Manufacturer’s Association (NEMA).
24. California Building Code.